Apr 16, 2006

Lost weekend.

What I call the many hours spent diagnosing drives and reinstalling system software. Watching the computer come up in the shell and really missing simpler days of OS9.

2 comments:

Joe said...

I don't miss OS9 at all, I miss the days when Adobe's stuff was really good and exciting. And ATM Deluxe, though things have been smoother since dropping Suitcase for LinoType's FontExplorerX.

What made you have to reinstall the system? That's really rare. Of course I just had a situation where CS2 wouldn't install without a full wipe, but again, I blame that entirely on Adobe's increasing crappiness.

PJ said...

I miss OS9 if only because it was easier to know where things went and to troubleshoot things. Now with OS X, applications install files all over the place and it’s hard to keep track of what is being installed where. As things turned out after reinstalling the system and then getting the upgrades so I was back up to 10.4.6, I’m still having problems with many apps which are looking for support files. It’s just a pain in the ass more than anything else. I will say Tiger is infinitely better than Panther or Jaguar but, there is still a ways to go. I understand what you mean about Adobe’s increasing crappiness - that’s part of the problem with them being the only game in town in many ways. I hadn’t upgraded to CS 2 on many apps but it is looking increasingly likely I will have too. (:>(